Monday 20 February 2012

Gotta Date (Square)?

OMG! Time has flown. Perhaps it was the pre-Christmas nonsense. Perhaps it was laziness. Perhaps it was the fact I was working my butt off. Now I return to you....

One of my favourite places to go is the Bulk Barn. It has so many endless possibilities...plus the gluten free section has widely expanded and it is so much cheaper to buy at the Barn then it is anywhere else.

Plus they have gluten free oats. YUM!

They had dates on sale not to long ago and I was inspired to make Date Squares. This recipe ROCKS! It is easy-peasy and the squares are nice and moist. Here you go!


Date Squares
1 pound of dates (about 3 cups), chopped
1 cup of water
3/4 cup of butter (or shortening, but butter is better!)
1 cup of brown sugar
1/2 tsp of salt (omit if you are using salted butter)
1 1/2 cup of oats
1/2 tsp of baking soda
1 1/2 cups of flour
1/2 tsp of baking powder

Boil together your chopped dates and water, until dates are soft and of a spreadable consistency.

Combine your dry ingredients and half the mixture. Press half the mixture in a 9" x 13" pan. Press firmly!


Pour the date mixture on top of the pressed mixture. Spread evenly. Crumble the rest of the mixture overtop and bake for 375 degrees for 20 minutes.


Oh these are soooo fab! I pat myself on the back! Yay me!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...