Sunday 25 September 2011

Working and Reading

Life has been busy these days. For the next month and a half, I am working 7 days a week. I have found out one of my so-called "stable jobs" is ending in April, 2012 and I am working my butt off to save money for the impending change. I have also been working on a contract too. Together, I have little choice and I am consigned to be a "slave to the man." Oh, and to add icing to the cake, I am on a board for an art gallery.

I also commute (god, could this blog entry get any more depressing) and I have been reading quite a bit.


I finished reading "The Help" by Kathryn Stockett. The book is quite popular at the moment because of the film and it was on the New York Times Bestsellers list. I often saw it in the bookstore but the cover never compelled me to pick it up. Birds on a wire. Blah. Had I known it was about black housemaids in the late fifties in the American South, not some dippy love story, I would have actually picked it up.

"The Help" is a wonderful book. Yes, it is light read. A pretty basic plot of black maids telling their housekeeping stories of the prejudice in their lives to a white author. The characters are terrific. The bad ones you hate, the good ones you applaud. It is a page turner with some funny parts too. What was my commuter book turned into my after dinner book, before bedtime book and lunch book. Highly recommend it.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...