Thursday 21 June 2012

Ice Cream Cone Cupcakes (or Car Crash Cupcakes)

A kitchen decoration of my dog chows down on a cupcake!
I was sentimental and decided for a family gathering I would make Ice Cream Cone Cupcakes. If you never had these as a kid, you missed out! In making these, I discovered many pros and cons about making them - something I would have never known as a kid.


You need: cake mix, ice cream cones and icing. Candy is good too.


Take your batter and pour it into your cone below the lip. In fact, I would even pour it lower than the batter in this image.


I found that loaf pans work very well to hold the cones. Make sure the cones are level otherwise you will get this or this: (especially if you overfill your cones!)


Thankfully you can pick some of this cake residue off and eat it!

FIRST MESS UP: I made these ahead of time and put them into a plastic container. Overnight the cones became soft from the moisture of the cake. Not cool.

I also made the icing ahead of time (a simple buttercream) and put it into a large plastic bag to pipe onto the cupcakes.
Early morning sunlight casts it's rays onto my icing and cupcakes.
SECOND MESS UP: It was a hot morning and the buttercream quickly became soft. It was not cooperative and soon I had icing everywhere. (Is that really a bad thing?) Top your icing with some candy. I used sour atomic balls.


If you have empty space in your plastic traveling container, fill it out with a ball of wax paper.

Cupcake for breakfast? Okay!
THIRD MESS UP: (Probably the biggest one to avoid): On route to the gathering we got in a car crash by being rear ended by another car and pushing us into the one in front of us. This will topple your cupcakes and make a big mess. At this point, you are allowed to eat any or all of the cupcakes to feel better.

Now if you remember these from your childhood, you will remember that the cone part is not the yummiest from baking. My boyfriend called it "stringy." I would describe it more as stale. I actually like the combo of the cake and cone but it is up to you to decide.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...