Tuesday 19 June 2012

A Tour of Luminato's Encampment

Yesterday I had the opportunity to have a look at "The Encampment," a large scale art installation at Fort York that is part of Toronto's Luminato and the Bicentennial of the War of 1812. I have never taken in any of the Luminato events, which never really appeal to me, and seem to consist mainly of dance and music.

Just taking in the website, I notice an artist I like (Dan Bergeron) was involved in an activity under the Visual Arts tab while "The Encampment" is not even listed. Very, very confusing.


The tents with the condo buildings behind. Old vs. New.

Each tent had an installation based on an individual who had lived through the 1812, whether they were a soldier, a wife, a business owner, a Native etc. Some were touching, others verged on paranoia, others promoted the successes of their subject. It was really quite neat and each artist used a variety of materials including trees, furs, furniture, burnt wood, flags - very inspiring!

I had a few friends take part and now I wish I had! Some of the installations were wonderful, while others were, well...not good....but the redeeming quality was, no one was turned away and it truly was a public art project. And with 200 tents, it was impossible to see everything without spending hours.


To learn more about the artists who conceived the project, check out here or to see some of the installations look here.

Oh and I love the blow up 1812 sign. It cracks me up. Seems wrong to have bouncy letters for a war.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...