Wednesday 24 August 2011

Crafty Birds

This little story is rather apropos as my close friend is setting up a jewelry making business at the moment...

On the weekend, I went to a family BBQ. A common site at any family gathering of my boyfriend's are his parents who often bring their bird, a red feathered macaw named Luna. They raise all sorts of birds, but it is Luna, naturally, who gets the most attention. They will bring her and her stand along, have her crawl all over them, rip off their buttons, tear their shirts. It's quite the site. (Sorry I forgot the camera.)

This is what Luna looks like a la Wikipedia.
I discovered Luna has a neat trick. She takes the centers out of Toonies! She grabs the toonie, moves it around with her weird black tongue, where she sort of twirls it, almost as though her tongue is reading braille or the writing on coin. Honestly, its all over in less than 2 minutes. You hear a click, and the center falls to the ground!


Luna's Mom takes the broken coins to the bank, but as she says, "I don't tell them a bird did it." Can you imagine? I am sure the Canadian Mint would LOVE Luna!

I'm going to take these coins and turn them into earrings! I think my friend should employ this bird... (her cat wouldn't like that though.) Do you remember when toonies came out and they said the centers 'may' pop out and all us crafters tried and tried and tried. Try Luna!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...