Friday 26 August 2011

Reading....Walking the Dog by David Hughes

When I went to art school, I studied drawing. I still have a great soft spot for drawing.


I purchased this book in Brighton, England at a bookstore on the main road. It was a great store and I am sorry I can't remember the name because I would recommend it to you. As soon as I saw it, I recognized the great style of David Hughes and had to purchase it. "There is no damn way I can get this in Canada and it would be three times the price," I said to my friend.

(Later I would be overweight on my luggage for all the books I lugged back. Not including my cast iron penny bank either. Funny, I forgot you can order books online. Usually art books cost more, ignoring the fact I did pay in sterling. Christ I don't know why I bought it. Maybe cause I loved the drawings? It weighed a ton in my luggage.)

The story of "Walking the Dog" is very simple. Hughes is told to exercise, drink less, and eat less red meat. His family tells him to get a dog and they buy him one for his birthday, a wired hair fox terrier. He walks the dog, contemplates his mortality. Everyone he comes across says, "My _________ used to have a fox terrier but it died...." The poor dude is constantly reminded about death.

He begins to think of all the people he has known who have died. From his brother and father, to Marilyn Monroe and Elvis.

Can I mention the book is funny? Funny in a morbid way. And all his characters are so quintessentially British. Bad teeth, rosacea from drinking, tweed. And the poop bag! He captures the doggie poop walk perfectly. If you have a dog, you know this walk.

My Darling Dog Penny
(she hates this picture and this tiara)
I have a personal connection to this book. I started reading this book in Brighton and there is a moment where he visits Brighton in the book and draws the pier...

The Brighton Pier, roller-coasters and games galore.
And I missed my dog....

Dogs outside of my friend's flat...

And my Dad has been told to start exercising because of his own heart. Yes, this book speaks to me on so many levels. It's deep, man.

Check out the copyright page. This page alone is a reason to get this book. Oh and the portrait of his Mom when she is ironing.


If you want to read an actual review of this book, following this link. She says the book lacks a story however she also mentions she read the book drunk. As a book reviewer, should you mention you are reviewing a book in an alcohol haze? She says you can read this book in one sitting. I don't believe it. There is too much writing and detail. I have issues with the review as you can tell, but not with the book.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...