Monday 8 August 2011

My Hearse

About a month ago, my boyfriend Mr. B, offered to buy me a bike. I'd talked about getting a bike for a few years and something suddenly possessed him to make the offer (perhaps impending birthday?!?!?).

I neglected to tell Mr. B that I hadn't ridden a bike in over 15 years. I also didn't tell him until after I had gotten the bike. Ooooops. As a result, I ride on side streets, building my confidence.

When looking at bikes, my choice was based on my childhood bike: a cruiser. I don't know how to use a handbrake! The process was fairly easy because cruisers are so popular at the mo'. We looked on the internet and we both got really excited when we found it - yes, it was love at first site.

This is a Trek Classic Men's Cruiser. I call it "My Hearse" cause it looks like one -
I just need some purple flags.

We chose to go with the company Trek because of their price point. The classy black was timeless and retro. While I would have liked to have a woman's bike frame, the woman's bikes were covered with flowers or designs. Boo!

This lovely bike had the white wall tires I craved. I dreamed of white walled tires! White walls on old cars are so classy. Why we have boring ol' tires on our modern cars I don't understand. An interesting fact: I was told that white walls, at the time, were considered cheap and ugly. People would reverse the position of the tires on their cars so the white would be facing the inside to avoid sneers.

I love my bike. It is gorgeous and the details are fab. There is gold pin-striping on the body and it is mirrored with gold spokes on the wheels. And the old logo on the chain plate is sweeeeet.

Natch, I had to get gear for my hearse. I got an old fashioned bell. But for the helmet I was stuck between choosing a red helmet or the one below. I let a little girl in the store choose for me. Thinking back on it, it would have been silly to choose the red.

Paul Frank "Skurvy Skull" Helmet by Bell.
The only thing I don't like about this helmet is the straps are white! I imagine
they will get dirty. Black would have been so much better.

Now I want some bitchin' reflectors. I do have reflectors on the bike but they are so booooring. I need funky! Let you know how the search goes - definitely have to look online.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...